Put That Decade Down


 There is no potter who exists for the sake of spinning clay all day- The goal of the potter is to produce master pieces! -Toure Roberts. 

Think about ir, this statement has delivered me from thinking that God is shelfing me for something grand. There is no grander moment, the spectalur is now as my pastor loves to put it.
You know, as Christians we have weird colloqulaisms to explain seasons and times. God is humbling me, I am in a season of wilderness,  the Lord is hiding his face from me etc, they sound all spiritual but imagine they are not true. God is forever present. 

I am not rejecting that there are seasons and times, just as Solomon profoundly talks about  in the book of Ecclesiastes. I am acquainted that there are seasons and times; however I do not believe that there are days that God takes a sabbatical concerning my life! Like David says even if I lay my bed in hell there he is with me. .. See Psalm 139:8

Before Christ, most evenings I would be found in some noisy, light changing space that served fermented distilled products, I am sure you are not familiar with such places but they are called clubs. Thing was, even in such places I would legit hear the conviction of the Holy Spirit.  God is always speaking, the question is, are you keen to listen?

In my shenanigans, I would be sipping and dancing, sweating and screaming “that’s my song” and I am sure God would be out there screaming “That’s my child”.   Whether I was as high as a kite or unaware of where I was, the one thing is: God is constant!  His voice never stopped pursuing me!  Rev 3:20

 I share this to testify that even whilst we are trapped and do not know who He really is, He never stops knocking. For some, it’s a warm subtle knock, and for others it’s a hard bang of light like Saul at Damascus. However He gets you, the most refreshing thing is to know Him.
 In January I had the privilege of reviewing my previous decade.  At some point, it felt dense, as though I had under achieved. I felt this wave of sadness envelope me, and almost got into the bait of comparison.

 Oh how time flies! In that decade, I was a teen, in my early twenties and then the mid-twenties! Look at you, trying to do the math- moving on swiftly! While I was just there sulking and feeling like I needed a spiritual massage, I felt the Holy Spirit nudge me, Put that decade down.

Truth is, I was focusing on what my letdowns were in comparison to what others had achieved.  Certainty, I know that some of my peers are doing marvelous things. Some have gone further, others are elevated in positions that make you wonder if they can share an exact manuscript of how they got there, word to word, step by step.

 In my reflection, the Lord just slips a polite reminder, a word of comfort. The greatest achievement is to KNOW me! Wow Lord! Shots fired huh, that was a smooth one!  Knowing Christ, knowing His power and who He is and what He can do.

Looking back, salvation is the best decision I ever made. It was the highlight of my decade. Knowing God! I could lose out on the things that the world deems important but guess what; they will be added unto me in the fullness of time.

I was listening to this podcast that asked:

What did you lose? what did you gain ? What did you learn and what was the theme of your last decade? If you think about it in the light of God’s goodness you will have nothing but praises oozing out. You are not who you used to be you and if you check your graph, the line has been going upwards and onwards. Every year projects an iota of the moments in our lifetime and we ought to appreciate the evolution at every level.


2020 is like the January of this new 20’s decade. Your attitude and vision for this year will set a precipice for what you will experience in continuation. 

 For some people, they will encounter parenthood for the first time and they have to learn how to change diapers and accommodate the life of God through stewardship and parenting.
For others, it is the cleaving to another person to set a journey of love and purpose in the form of marriage.

Let’s not forget people who will get into ownership, whether business or any form of venture that will be entrusted to them. When it is all said and done, this decade feels like it’s marinated with purpose and an unveiling.

I pray that as your terrains are being expanded and the Lord is calling the chief kahuna in you that will you be willing and obedient to partner with him in this new decade.
Here is to a beautiful journey, filled with illumination, love and joy. I pray that when you think about life, It will bring you joy to know that it is God who is at work in you both to will and do for his own good.

Oh and if you had a tough time or are in a tough situation, God doesn’t keep you around so that it can get tougher, he is says that the path of the just is like the light of dawn which lights up brighter and brighter.

Let that decade go! Happy decade of the 20’s!.

Comments