My 2017 Lessons - We don't have to do Coffee

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – December . Yeeey !

The year is finally over you guys!  - It has been a very interesting year.
I have been planning to write this for two weeks now but I couldn't encapsulate the words to describe this year. ( I might have to do a part II )

Can you? Describe this year is one word!

When someone asked me how my year has been, can you imagine what my initial word was? Waaaah ! ( A sigh ) , not intentional but that how it feels like ! Waaah !

I have learnt and experienced a lot and I want to share how the year has been for me.
I have to admit that I am a tad bit nervous because I feel this weight of being authentic and honest and I hope you could handle as I pour out my lessons .-

Soak in will you ?


v  Qualify things
This is the one #101's that has stuck with me throughout the whole year.  This is in line with my emotions and feelings. Allowing myself to ask those honest questions. Why am I feeling like this and where is this coming from. 

Also asking , why is this happening and what is it here to teach me. 

These internal questions have helped me get aligned with some truths and ask for God’s direction. Some emotions or thoughts are not even from me! They are malicious and the enemy just wants me to linger in them and cost me peace or certain level of victory.
Like Jesus in the wilderness, he was being tempted for things that his flesh would have wanted. He used the word of God to qualify every temptation.

 Qualifying things looks like: what can I do about this? Why I am even interested in doing this? Who can I trust with this information? 

v  Fear Not & Be Still

it’s time to attend that internal funeral. It’s time to bury all your fears, inhibitions and insecurities. It’s time to let go of all the things that have chained you and held you captive for so long. It’s time to finally be free.”Billy Chapata


I have come to understand why Jesus rebuked fear with such intensity.
 Fear will cripple you. It will whisper to you what you cannot do and why you cannot do it.  This year, I made certain decisions that made my stomach cold and heart beat fast .Honestly, looking back I can say that fear has a grip and you have to fight and let go! 
For every-time I allow fear to creep in , faith dims out . Both cannot co-exist !  

Joshua 1 : 9  “Have I not commanded you ? “ – Commands are authoritative, and sometimes you have to command fear out, cuteness won’t cut it.  

Psalm 46:10 “Be still “ To be is to exist , I have concluded that I have to search out for peace , I have to desire stillness . Everything else tends to be chaotic and boisterous , but peace is the whistle that calms me on the inside .


v  You don’t have to prove yourself
So I was pressing into God about something I really wanted. As I was just asking for it the umpteenth time, I felt a question drop. “Why must you have it “ I couldn’t answer the question because I did not find the right answer , or the right motive .

Then I remembered how Jesus resurrected. It was very low-key only the very ones that needed that confirmation witnessed to his resurrection.  He could have chosen to make a point and resurrect in front of one of the Pharisee’s house. In fact, he could have resurrected and appeared to the Chief Priest but he did not. He wasn’t trying to prove a point, he was in purpose. 
Purpose will not try to prove a point! Purpose speaks for itself.
In light of that, I found the answer. Maybe I wanted to get this thing because I wanted to prove how relevant I am and the Lord helped me understand.

Are you doing it for the Gram , for the Insta story or for God’s glory !  ‘If it is not for His Glory it is not worth the story “.

It's not all Posh 


We live in an era where people have branded themselves to be what people esteem them to be. Maybe that is why I will take 17 Selfies and post the one with the best angle and proper lighting.  (can I be real for a minute ). 

 Maybe that is how filters came to be ! 

The lesson here is: Do not be impressed by what you see.  Never judge someone blooming process by your watering moments.  
I have learnt to have the courage to celebrate parts of me that never get on social media . To be so grateful for all that is misplaced knowing too well that I am just Clay and he is the potter .

v  We don’t have to do coffee

Wasn’t sure I wanted to share this but oh well!
You don’t owe anything if you are not comfortable doing it. We live in a culture where people say “we should meet for coffee “right? 

I promise, it has a spiritual angle.  Some of these coffee dates are portals we open for gossip, for lies and exaggeration.  Sometimes you meet someone and end up feeling so exhausted . I am not saying that it is wrong to catch up and talk but I have come to understand my soul is not an entry point for everyone. 

Especially while single, I have learnt when to say no politely.  If I am not comfortable within chances are I will fake it on the outside and that is not a healthy space.

Last one!  You owe yourself growth! The place of growth is sometimes lonely and self revealing. – do it anyway  It may require some soul search and confronting inner truths  Even if people do not understand your blooming process you owe yourself that much!  

John 4:31
31 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.”
32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”

Jesus had this thing where he would water himself, even the disciples did not know how.
He was connected to who he really was in the Father that it did not matter what people said he was . He leveled up when he was Solo . He did not need anyone's approval . The source was in him as he is in US .

“Who you are is more important than you they think you are “.

So, what have you learnt in 2017? How have you grown and evolved? Do share!  


Xoxo Bellz 

Comments